Some aspects of History - Caterham and Whytelefe Tennis Club

The |modern game of tennis was was invented in this country in Birmingham and Leamington Spa between 1872 and 1873,

In1891 a certain O.J.Trinder founded the Caterham |Lawn T|enis and Croquet Club in 1891.

O.J.Trinder's Club was located in Stafford Road on a site now occupied by Asprey Court.

After the 1939/45 was the Club moved to Manor Park, in the |walled kitchen garden of the former M|anor

 

In its Heyday in the 1950s

The club had its international connection and played annual matchesa against a team from the Netherlands

The Whyteleafe Team in 1963 left to right - Freddie Reed (non playing captain) Arthur Chesney,

Eileen Chestney,  Philip Maud-Roxby,  Grace Cowie, Ted Downs, Mrs. F|.Reed, Tom Hill, Elaine Silverton

The Dutch Team in the same year, - their top pair Franz Mullen in the white sweater and Bob Koczink

the tall man in the middle, both won their singles in straiht sets. Other results are not recorded.

 

The Club grew to have some 60 adult members and 40 juniors.

In the Millenium year of 2000 Councillor Sally Marks presented the trophies and played a game of singles with Malcolm Stockwell, our Chairman.

In 2007 the Club house was rebuilt after a fire and CCTV was installed. We have been kean to increase our mebership ever since and particulasrly now after the Coronavirus lockdown

 

In our Millenium tournament